Friday, February 15, 2008

Trip Plans and Life Shattering Findings

My life was thrown askew a few days ago when I found out a piece of shocking news: Bob Ross died, and not only had he died but he died 13 years ago. Bob Ross you say, who is this strange phenomenon of which you speak? Well perhaps this will help jog your memory: little fuzzy bushes, happy trees and fan brushes. Still not cluing in? Well than take a look at the picture - Jen I think this afro ridden painter should reside in your memory. And to think, all these times I've watched him paint and found myself drifting into a hypnotised state I thought he was alive, perhaps in a studio somewhere filming another episode. But no, truth be told he's long dead, gone, cold, no longer with us. I don't think I'll ever look at the world quite the same way again.

But now with this life shattering news out of the way we shall move onto other updates such as my lit class. As requested I shall here list my insights into recent events in lit class.

1) Beowulf: first known piece of English literature, originally an oral poem. I like it, it's like your class fairy tell/legend... And only in a class with Dylan would you learn that scholars suspect that the dragon Beowulf fights was actually born of relations between Beowulf and Grendel's mother.

2) Canterbury Tales: It is a very dirty, dirty story. Actually really interesting though, unfortunately all we study is the preface and they don't print most of the actual stories in our textbook because they're too "sexual" or "vulgar". Though the rapper that came in to present them to us (yes that's right there is someone out there who makes a living off rapping the Canterbury Tales) did an incredibly good job. It sounds kind of stupid when you first hear the concept but it's actually quite informative and very well done. He also helps compare how the society of that day has really little difference from todays, at least when it comes to the competitions of poetry and the hackling and so on that incurred during them, in other words the general social interactions - dj/beat/rap competitions of the day are hardly any different. Interesting concept, and he actually did his masters on it, which is quite fascinating. And another similarity? Even then there was an accepted fact that the key to a succesful relationship is "yes dear," as the Wife of Bath's story most truthfully explains.

And in a final gasp of big news: Plane tickets have been bought and the passports on its way. So get ready Jen cause I plan on completely invading your world of two weeks. =p I kid, I kid.... or do I?

(I'm still not putting those Buddy pictures up until I see photos of your apartment Jen, I don't care if you've already taken them, I want to see results. =p )

2 comments:

jesuisjen said...

hahahaha... you didn't know bob ross was dead? Isn't it painfully obvious that a man such as that could only truly exist in the 70s.

jesuisjen said...

Umm, I figure I should remind you, that now that I have put up MY pictures now it's your turn.

I want a whole gallery of Buddy pictures.